Wednesday, June 9, 2010

fireflies

My friend Renita convinced me to write in this blog in a more regular fashion. I will try to post things here that are too long or thoughtful for facebook.

My favorite thing about living in Tennessee is fireflies. They started pretty early in the spring, and have continued off an on with different species having different colors and behaviors. Evidently nearby it's possible to see synchronized fireflies, which blink on and off en masse like a giant string of christmas lights, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it this year. The current batch have a lovely golden light, like miniature suns. They hover just over the grass, head up and light down, and then turn on their light and rise slowly about 6-12 inches. Then they turn the light off, slowly drift back down to the grass, and repeat. They start up at dusk when there's plenty of light to see them and their little suns are a subtle glow. As it gets darker, the effect is even more lovely. Occasionally one will fly over to investigate me or Pip, or drift up into the trees or deeper into the woods, but mostly they stay over the lawn. Sitting on the deck looking down over the lawn it's like sitting in an airplane flying over a bunch of small towns on the 4th of July, each with their own tiny golden fireworks display.

1 comment:

  1. I really miss fireflies. I grew up with them, and in Iowa would look forward to dusk. I'm afraid as a boy I experimented with them cruelly from time to time...

    My ex-wife, Veronica, first saw them in Italy, actually. We were both amazed to see them there. That's when I learned the Spanish word for them: "luciƩrnaga". Such a lovely sounding word.

    ReplyDelete